Exchange IS error exceeded the maximum of 500 objects of type “objtFolder”
Outlook client doesn’t update folders automatically. On the status bar instead of “All folders are up to date” message “This folder was last updated on …” is displayed.
Your Microsoft Exchange 2010 server logs the following error:
Event ID: 9646 Type: Error Source: MSExchangeIS Description: Mapi session "/o=First Organization/ou=Administrative Group/cn=Recipients/cn=user" exceeded the maximum of 500 objects of type "objtFolder".
The number of server-side objects that are allowed by clients is limited to prevent a single client from the exhausting resources on the Exchange server.
To resolve this problem:
1. Open Registry Editor and navigate to:
2. Right click ParametersSystem and create New -> Key
3. Enter MaxObjsPerMapiSession and confirm creation of the new sub-key
4. Right click newly created key, create new DWORD value called objtFolder and give it a decimal value bigger than default 500.
5. Create another DWORD value called objtFolderView and give it the same value.
There’s no need to restart Exchange server or even MSExchangeIS service. Give it some time and things will settle down. You might need to restart Outlook client to start synchronising folders again.