Change block size for VMFS datastore file system with a different block size
- Storage vMotion, move, or delete the virtual machines located on the datastore you would like to recreate with a different block size.
- Log into the Local Tech Support Mode console of the ESX/ESXi host. For more information, see:
- Use the esxcfg-scsidevs command to obtain the disk identifier (mpx, naa, or eui) for the datastore you want to recreate:
# esxcfg-scsidevs -m
- Use vmkfstools to create a new VMFS datastore file system with a different block size over the existing one:
# vmkfstools -C VMFS-type -b Block-Size -S Datastore-Name /vmfs/devices/disks/Disk-Identifier:Partition-Number
Example command to create a datastore called NewDatastore with an 8 MB block size:
# vmkfstools -C vmfs3 -b 8m -S NewDatastore /vmfs/devices/disks/naa.60901234567890123456789012345678:1
- Rescan from all other ESX hosts with the vmkfstools -V command.