Build your Own NAS
Here’s my build your own NAS cookboook:
1) Get a Celeron 430 processor, around £50
2) Get a Gigbyte GA-945GCMX-S2 motherboard, around £55
3) Get 512MB of DDR2 memory, about £15
4) Get a 64MB or more USB memory stick. You might have these lying around, you can probably get one for a few bucks or free somewhere.
5) Get a case and power supply. I got a CoolerMaster Elite 330 for £40 and it has a lot of drive bays.
6) Get as many hard disks as you want.
7) Put the system together, hook up a CD-ROM drive (just borrow one).
8) Download and burn FreeNAS onto a CD
9) Boot the FreeNAS CD
10) Insert USB stick
11) Follow the FreeNAS menu to install the OS on the USB stick
12) Turn off the machine and remove the CD-ROM, put in
13) Plug in the network, turn on the machine, and use the menu to set the IP address
14) From another computer on the network, you can access the FreeNAS machine with your web browser, and you’re on your way.